Trade Idea Generation Process
A framework for generating trade ideas.
Last time, I wrote a rather long post on how I conduct analysis on a chart. If you missed it, you can read it here.
Ok so once you’ve done all your analysis, what next? Now you need to come up with a trade idea or two. We all have a tendency to rush this part… The urge to grab onto the first trade idea that comes to mind is strong. There’s a better way to leverage your screen time and skill.
The mental model I like to use is this:
- Where do I think the price is headed today?
- Higher, lower, range-bound?
- Do I need more info to make a decision? Like waiting for the first hour?
- Heck, do I even have a good read? (This is where the higher TF work comes in, maybe there’s no decent pattern, and that’s okay. No trade is an active decision.)
- Next, I want to revisit the key levels I extracted from my analysis.
- How do they fit into the expected range of the day?
- Would they be a good place to consider doing business?
- Or would they be a better trade target?
- Then, what would I like to see at that level?
- Reversal pattern?
- Wick through that fails?
Anything else to consider like time of day? You’re following a flow chart from a naked unbiased chart to trade idea generation. With each step playing a key role.
DAX Index Example
Get Smarter About Trading
Join 5,000+ traders who subscribe to our Traders Mastermind daily email. Designed to help you cultivate discipline, momentum and consistency in less than 3 minutes per day.
I assess the daily and the last few day’s trading conditions.
Get my key levels and look at the prior day as a final clue to determine
my plan for the current/next day.
These are my key levels, and I come up with two decent trade ideas.
(Then detail on trigger method, stops, target, position size etc.)
Idea 2 turned out to be a non-starter but Idea 1 played out ok.
If I start missing trades or messing up for whatever reason I can work on my trigger process.
If my levels aren’t working or I’m misreading the conditions I can work on my analysis.
Isolating weak spots is a quicker way to get back in tune rather than overhauling the whole engine.
That’s why I think a clear multi-step process to trade idea generation is a great method.
Try it, and see if it helps your trading.